Friday, October 16, 2009

Do our children reflect our teaching?

Two days ago, I was in the Kohl's parking lot placing my items in my van. I looked over at the van next to me and it was a Muslim Mother and her two female children. All 3 were dressed in their customary Islamic garments. One of the children caught my eye. She appeared to be around the same age of my oldest daughter(12). She was helping her mother buckle her younger sibling in the van and then walked around to the passenger seat. As she walked around to the passenger seat, she and I exchanged a smile.

As they drove away, I began to think. How is it that the Muslim mother can get her daughter to buy into their beliefs and visibly and publicly proclaim their faith? I then laughed aloud and realized that I should be asking myself the same question.....How can I as a Christian mother get my daughter to buy into our beliefs and visibly and publicly proclaim her faith? Hmmmmmmm.

I do not know the heart of the young Muslim girl and can only assume the following. Her Islamic dress was very neat and had a sense of youthful flair, as if she picked it out herself. According to the Qur'an, A woman/young girl are to keep their "true" beauty hidden from the world and wear the customary wardrobe to maintain modesty. So, if this is what they believe, how does that translate for this young girl or many other Muslim girls. They look and act different than some of their classmates. They do not see their image of dress on TV. They do not share the same beliefs as many in the world. But still they unashamedly, proclaim their faith in public with their dress.

Our Christian children should be able to say that they look and act different than some of their classmates. Our Christian children should be able to say that they do not see their image of Christian dress on tv. Our Christian children should be able to say that they do not share the same beliefs as many in the world. Our Christian should be able to unashamedly proclaim their faith in public with how they walk. Where is the breakdown? Is it me? Are you seeing them truly representing Christ 24/7?

On Sunday, our oldest daughter attended a youth service at our church. She came home very excited about the message. She said that Minister Bishop gave an excellent message about holiness. I asked her to tell me more. She said, "Mom, Mr. Nate told us to be holy that we have to be set apart from the world in EVERYTHING. We have to set apart in our language, in our dress and even our thoughts." She went on to say that she knows that it is ok to proclaim publicly that she is set apart and to tell the world. So, my hubby and I challenged her this week to be set apart and live holy at school. Yesterday, a young boy called her stupid for making a certain comment in class. She raised her hand and told her teacher. The teacher wrote the boy up for inappropriate language. Later that day, he passed her in the hallway and said, "You are still stupid." She stopped him and said, " I am not stupid. God has created me to be a wonderful person. I am proud of who God created and you are the stupid one for saying anything different." We were very proud of her and told her next time to stop right before calling the boy stupid. lol. I asked her how she felt about standing up for herself as a Christian and she said it was GREAT!!!

The issue of holiness and proclaiming our faith publicly go hand in hand. My earlier question to you was, "How can a Christian mother get her daughter to buy into our Christian beliefs and visibly and publicly proclaim their faith?" The primary way is to LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Scripture says in Titus 2:3, "Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored."

I want my children to impact this world as faithful followers of Christ. But, it needs to start with me!!! Our Pastor always says,"what you do in moderation, your children will do in excess." We, as mothers and fathers need to closely examine our lives. If your children modeled ALLLLLL of your current behaviors.....would you be proud? Is there something that needs to change. If so, I pray that God allows you wisdom to identify those things and swiftly remove them.

Our children should be able to live a Godly life privately and publicly because of the tools that we have given them. Are you teaching them about Godly responses to questions in the world? Do they know how to be apologetic(defend) in their faith? They are never to young to learn. One of our twins, Alyssa spoke up for her beliefs this week. During recess, her friends were playing ghost club. They asked her to join and she said, " No, I am Christian and I can not join your group." Now, Alyssa does not have full knowledge as to why she said no, but she knew enough to know that it was not a group that she wanted to be a part of. Even at 7, you can pour into them. You should begin pouring into them as soon as the doctor says, "It's a ____. " It is never to early, but it could be too late sometimes.

As you go through this week, remember my example of the Muslim mother and how she has taught her daughter to proclaim her beliefs publicly. Islam is completely false, WRONG, and Inaccurate teaching, but yet the mother is still pouring falsehood into her family. If you have and know the TRUTH, how much more should YOU POUR?

Stay encouraged and remain united!!!! Until the next time........

3 comments:

  1. I love you Mommy! THANKS SOOOO MUCH for using me as a wonderful example. It really meant a lot to me. It really did make me feel special when I told the boy God Made Me special. You also just made me fee special when you have a lot of people reading your blog and you put me in it. THANK YOU!!
    - BeinJustMe
    Pce<3and:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexi Lexi,
    I love you sooooooo much toooooo. It is my pleasure to put examples of you in the blog because you allow God to shine through your life. Keep being the awesome child of God that you are. I love you LEXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele
    I really enjoyed reading your blog..we all so
    need to be challanged to be the best godly example we can...even as the word says encourage one another daily as the days are short!
    Blessings Liz

    ReplyDelete